SRQPAP Sarasota – Bradenton – Venice
SRQ PLEIN AIR PAINTERS is a group of artists sponsored by Renaissance School of Art and meets each Wednesday at various locations around SRQ area (Sarasota – Bradenton – Venice). There is no charge to attend our weekly Paint-Outs. We usually meet at 9am but you are free to come any time before or after. Find the spot you like and PAINT. Don’t forget to introduce yourself to other artists painting on location if you are new to the group. We will have occasional group critiques, competitions and exhibitions throughout the year. Plein Air Workshops with local and invited out of state prominent painters are offered through Renaissance School. Visit Workshop page HERE
Our Mission is capturing and preserving Sarasota and surrounding communities by painting their historic and disappearing architecture and landscapes.
Group organizers: Marina and Vladislav Yeliseyev
First Paint Out is October 4, 2017
For more details visit our social sites:
Highlights of last season
May 21, 2016 – PALM AVENUE, SARASOTA – CAPTURING SARASOTA HISTORY PAINT OUT
Capturing The History: SRQ Plein Air Painters are painting at the historic site on S. Palm Avenue on May 21, 2016. The group recently took notice of the pending demolition of the DeMarcay Historic Hotel, located at 27 S. Palm Avenue in Sarasota which has been a landmark in Sarasota since 1922. The SRQPAP painters will be painting the Hotel DeMarcay building starting at 8:30 AM on Saturday May 21, 2016. The public is invited to come and watch or paint with us as we capture a piece of history for our community.
March 23, 2016
We will meet at the Ted Sperling Park and Nature Park at South Lido Beach at 5PM for a potluck dinner to celebrate the one year anniversary of SRQ Plein Air Painters and to wish some of our visiting painters safe journey home. We will have some water and wine. We are asking everyone to bring your favorite dish to share. If you would like to come to the party, please respond to Jim McDermott (firstname.lastname@example.org) to let us know what you will bring to share and the number of people attending.
March 19, 2016
Our Paint Out on Wednesday February 24, 2016 will be at the Manatee Village Historic Park located at 1404 Manatee Ave E,Bradenton, FL. 34208 This is a new site for our group and was suggested by Patricia Richards. There are lots of old historic buildings, an old locomotive, and a small old fashion store on the site.You can learn more about the site by visiting the website:
January 27, 2016
Our Paint Out on Wednesday 1/27/16 will be at Linger Lodge 7205 85th Street East Bradenton FL.Lets meet at 9 AM in the parking lot. Linger Lodge is an OLD FLORIDA kind of place (tropical and shady) with interesting foods at their restaurant.
To learn more go to the website: http://www.lingerlodgeresort.com
January 20, 2016
Our paint out on Wednesday 1/20/16 will be at Robinson Preserve located at 1704 99th St NW, Bradenton FL. We will meet at the the Main Entrance parking lot at 9:00 AM. This will be new site for us that was suggested by Anne.
Robinson Preserve is a 487 acre preserve located in northwestern Bradenton, in the Palma Sola area, across from the Palma Sola Botanical Gardens.
September 23, 2015 – Island Park, Sarasota. We meet by Bayfront Gate.
Island Park is regularly used for recreational fishing, scenic viewing and as a temporary landing for loading and off-loading for recreational boaters. There are plenty of parking, restrooms in the park and Oleary’s Tiki Bar for food and drink.
September 30 – New College of Florida in Sarasota Sunday 09/27 Newsletter
We will meet by the Charles Ringling Bayfront Mansion at 9am. Everybody is invited to stay for lunch and group critique at the park. Bring your brown bag lunch.
Address: 5800 Bay Shore Rd., Sarasota, FL 34243 Link to Google map: MAP
October 7 – Sailing Squadron
- By popular demand we meet again at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron
- Address: 1717 Ken Thompson Pkwy, Sarasota, FL 34236
- To learn more about our location, click on the link http://sarasotasailingsquadron.org/information/history/
- We will paint at Arlington Park. The park is located in the middle of residential neighborhood in Sarasota. It is a great place to paint the nature inside the city limits.
- Address: 2650 Waldemere St, Sarasota, FL 34239
- Newsletter 10/28
- Last Wednesday many of us missed Arlington Park location because of uncertain weather conditions. So we will give it another try and will paint there this Wednesday. See info for October 28. Newsletter 11/04
- On Wednesday November 11, 2015 we will meet at Cortez Kitchen located at 4528 119th St W, Cortez FL. We welcome painters to join us for a fun time painting outdoors at a historic location that has a covered area on a pier where you can see rustic fishing boats and places where fish are processed. Lunch: Brown Bag or whatever the group wants to do. Following is a watercolor painting from the area:
Can You Guess Who The Artist Is ????
We will start at 9AM and finish up about noon. The weather should be outstanding but don’t forget to bring some drinking water.
November 18 – South Lido Beach
November 25 – No plein air. Happy Thanksgiving!
December 2 –
- Myakka State Park. 13208 SR 72, Sarasota FL (MAP). We meet at the 2nd bridge driving into the park. The Park Ranger will provide you with a map when you pay your entrance fee. I will go early and will be on the road to flag you after you are in the park. Another spot some like to paint is the area close to where they have bike rentals and a boat tour launch.
- Our next Plein Air session will be at Oscar Scherer State Park. The park is located at 1843 S Tamiami Trail, Osprey, FL. between Sarasota and Venice, near Osprey. We will meet in the parking lot at 9AM. Please bring water and a bag lunch. We will plan on having a critique session during lunch. Take Care, Jim McDermott
The John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art 5401 Bay Shore Rd, Sarasota, FL
The gates open at 9:30 AM. Let’s meet at the Ca’d’Zan (“House of John’) about 9:45 AM. The John Ringling House is on the bay near the Secret Garden. Please bring water to drink and a bag lunch. After we finish painting (about 1 PM) we will have our group critique.
- Casey Key Fish House – 801 Blackburn Point Road, Osprey, FL. Casey Key Fish House opens at 11:30 AM so please park across the street in the Blackburn Point Park parking lot unless you plan to have lunch when the restaurant opens. We can paint at the restaurant or Blackburn Point Park which is a 15 acre water access park. The park has restrooms and covered picnic tables.